Wednesday, March 24, 2010

4D Ultrasound
















March 24, 2010

Jessica was able to get into her OB/GYN today to get some 4D Ultrasound images of the twins - Thanks Jodie. We had tons of these with Kenlee but after dozens of scans, none of the twins. She was amazed at the amount of fluid in Twin A's sac. It measured more than ever before.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fetal Care Day 2

March 9, 2010

On one hand we were hoping for Twin Twin Transfusion so there was a defined plan of treatment. We did not come away with that, only the still lingering question of not knowing what is going on and nothing can be done to help it at this point. One thing has changed from the past several weeks. Twin A, the smaller of the 2 has a very positive outlook with no obvious signs of trouble other than measuring a couple of weeks behind. We need to just keep ?her? in there. Twin B has the heart defect that is expected to worsen over time. The goal is to keep them in mommy until A is big enough to survive and B is big enough to handle a heart procedure if it needs it when born.

In the next few weeks we will be determining what hospital out of town we will deliver and may have to keep the twins while in NICU. In 2 weeks we will have another Echocardiogram done then another 2 weeks after that probably at the out of town hospital. Still, we remain faithful to a positive outcome and healing.

Thanks for ALL of the many prayers and support. It is greatly appreciated

Brandon and Jessica

Monday, March 8, 2010

Fetal Care Day 1

March 8, 2010

Today we had the Echocardiogram. They only looked at the hearts of the babies and they are both developing just fine. Only Twin B has a functional problem with a couple of valves. The cardiologist said the findings were consistent with TTTS but would be premature to diagnose that before tomorrows tests. IF it is TTTS (this is still hypothetical) and they perform the surgery, the heart problem usually corrects itself. Tomorrow we have an ultrasound at 8:30 and an MRI at 11:00. Then a couple of other consultation meetings before our team meeting at 2:00 which will put everything together for the diagnosis and treatment options. We will update everyone tomorrow after our 2:00 meeting.

Brandon and Jessica

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Second Opinion

March 4, 2010

After much thought, research and discussion with different people we decided today we would rather have a second opinion about the Twin Twin Transfusion Syndrome. The more I read and see about this, the more I just feel we should be doing something more than just waiting to see what happens. If it is TTTS, to correct the issue, intervention has to be done by the 26th week and it is pushing that window. Plus, our doctor earlier told us it would be better for another set of eyes to look at it. After a brief misunderstanding, he graciously referred us to The Fetal Care Center of Cincinnati. I had already talked to them and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and based on the symptoms we had, they both suggested being checked further. Since Cincinnati was a short drive in comparison to Philadelphia and they were both very highly rated children's hospitals, we chose to go to Cincinnati. We were set up with an itinerary of appointments for Monday and Tuesday, March 8th and 9th.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Echo-cardiogram - Some Relief

February 26, 2010

I couldn't wait to get home to get this email out. Today a Pediatric Cardiologist did a echo cardiogram on both babies. There were a LOT of prayers in the last few days and today Jessica and I got to see the result of those prayers. Although not in the clear by any means, we got positive news during our appointment. First was Baby A (we think, he kept getting them mixed up). Monday, this baby had a heart arrhythmia called a PAC. Today, there was no sign of it - a completely normal functioning heart (a little bigger than a pea by the way). He looked at everything imaginable with the heart and kept describing it as beautiful and perfect.

Then he went to Baby B, after a little confusion again. Monday it was thought this baby had hypoplastic right heart syndrome or Ebstein's Anamoly. Both of these are not good. What the doctor found today was neither of those, instead it is tricuspid stenosis. Basically, the tricuspid valve is not closing completely and there is leakage between 2 chambers of the heart. From what I understand, this isn't really a problem in the fetus because the heart doesn't pump blood through the lungs. After delivery, the heart automatically knows it needs to start pumping blood to the lungs now which then puts more back pressure on this valve. That in turn causes more leakage back into the Right Atrium instead of going into the Right Ventricle. This may still cause us to have to deliver out of town but doesn't sound as bad as what we had thought. He is going to check it again in 4-6 weeks. He wouldn't give us any long term prognosis for this condition, only that it will have to be closely monitored.

Still there are many possible scenarios with Twin A having very little amniotic fluid and Twin B's heart condition. We ask for continued prayer throughout the next few weeks to keep the Twins in mommy so they can grow and have a better chance to survive when they deliver.

We cannot tell you how much everyone's thoughts and prayers have helped us in this situation. Support of great friends and family cannot be valued enough.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:23-25

Brandon and Jessica

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Change of Plan

February 23, 2010

Dr. Fitzpatrick called today and changed some things he had previously thought and recommended. First, after having some conversations with colleagues at Duke University he no longer is recommending us to go to Cincinnati Children's Hospital. He talked to one doctor in particular at Duke that recently had a patient with the same complications. Also, he spent some more time reviewing some of our earlier ultrasound images and re-confirmed his thoughts. He is almost certain that this is not a Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome pregnancy because he can see a twin peak (sign of 2 separate pregnancies). He said the similar case ended up with both babies being delivered but the smaller one only living a couple of hours. He is now back to his original thought that baby A will pass sometime between now and soon after delivery. He has hopes that Baby B is going to make it through but still has the possible heart abnormality. We will be going in Friday afternoon for testing to find out for sure what that problem is. He mentioned that we may have to deliver at Vanderbilt or IU where there is a cardiac surgeon on staff. We will continue to pray for 2 healthy babies and we know God will answer that prayer if it is his plan.

Thanks for all of your prayers, emails and calls, it is a tremendous help in this time of uncertainty.

Brandon and Jessica

Monday, February 22, 2010

Discovered Heart Issues


February 22, 2010

Take 5 seconds right now and acknowledge what a miracle of God your kids are. If you don't have kids then acknowledge what a miracle of God you are.

Well we went to our 18th doctor's appointment today in 13 weeks. Today Jessica is 23 Weeks 2 Days. Since our first appointments November 23rd when we found out we had twins, we have been told one of them just isn't going to make it. We have gone to appointment after appointment
anxiously waiting to see if there was a second heartbeat and every time, it has still been there. Today it seems the mountain may have gotten a little steeper. Sure enough, today there are still twins alive but not well. Twin A, the smaller of the two (14 oz.), has an irregular heartbeat called a PAC (Premature Atrial Contraction). That alone in a single pregnancy wouldn't be much of a concern but with our situation it isn't good. Twin B (1lb. 1oz.), the one that seemed to have a good outlook is thought to have Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome. Basically, the right side of the heart is relatively smaller and developing less than the left.

His words today were "I don't have many head scratchers, but this case has me scratching my head". So, he is referring us to Cincinnati Children's Hospital where we will be going later this week. He still doesn't think it is Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome, but some of the symptoms look that way.

I know many of you are praying for us and our babies so I wanted to update everyone and ask that you continue to keep us in your prayers.

Thanks,
Brandon and Jessica