Thursday, May 6, 2010

People who inspire us

Rebecca is still having some breathing issues but she usually can come back up on her own without needing any oxygen help.  The cardiologists are scheduled to have their weekly meeting tomorrow at 2pm.  They will be discussing Rebecca and ensuring that they are all on the same page with the plan for her surgery.  Brandon and I were told last week that Rebecca is more prone to bone fractures because she is being given Alprostidil (heart drugs) and TPN (nurtrition).  These two things by themselves make the bones weak so she has double the chance of having bone fractures.  These fractures can occur during any type of movement that we do with her.  As much as Brandon and I love to see her dressed in clothes we decided to ask not to have her dressed in clothes and to be swaddled.  As soon as she is off of these her bones will be back to normal.
Joanna did two windows yesterday and began acting worn out again so they are stopping the windows again for a few days.  She is doing very well, most of her days not requiring any extra oxygen.  She is getting very close to getting out of the isolette and into a somewhat normal bed.  The next bed she will go to is one that is open but still has a warmer above the bed incase she needs a temperature boost.
Thoughout this journey I have come to realize how much the nurses who are caring for my babies mean to me.  Don't get me wrong there are those who got into this profession for all the wrong reasons but when you get a nurse whose heart is in her job, you know it.  I can't imagine going through this without trusting the people who are caring for my twins.  I want to acknowledge a few and what they have done to stand out in my mind.  Lindsay (Joanna's primary nurse) is very personable, talking with us as if we have been friends forever; she is always so gentle with Joanna and makes her look so comfortable; she tucks the cloth that I have my scent on up to her face or has Joanna hug it - I love seeing that, it makes me think she and I are loving on each other that way.  Jodi (a night nurse of Joanna's) and I hit it off right away.  She has triplets herself who were in the NICU so she knows what we are going through.  The first night she had Joanna I shared with her Joanna's story and she was so touched.  She now signs up to have Joanna each time she works and says she loves this little girl - funny thing is I know she really does love her.  Chris (Rebecca's associate nurse) has been fantastic with Rebecca.  She has been her nurse more than any nurse we have had .  She knows Rebecca so well and that gives me a sense of peace when I am not with Rebecca.  She is so knowledgeable about the policies and procedures and knows what she is doing.  Thank you nurses for the work you do and please know that you are touching lives every shift and we do not forget you - even when we are home, you will always be a part of our lives.  Happy Nurses Day!!
I also wanted to take just a moment to thank each and every Child Care staff member who has loved my kids their entire lives.  Each one of you have been so good to my kids and have made this time in their lives so much easier for them to accept.  As I was getting Katelyn in her class Ms. Lori came into the room and needed me to sign a paper for Kenlee.  As I was leaving she let me know that Kenlee, who was crying when I left her, was just fine and she found the smallest babydoll they have and was carrying it around and calling her Becca Sue.  Ms. Nancy has sent us emails periodically letting us know that the girls are being taken care of that we should not worry about anything.  Ms. Nancy and Ms. Lori felt that the need to tell me this because they care for our family - thanks again we love you all.  Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!!
I know this is a really long post but I would like to share two more stories that really brought me back to reality.  I met this mom today at University Hospital who had twins, a boy and a girl, at 26 weeks.  Her son is fighting a good fight and getting better but her daughter passed away 6 days after being born.  I can't imagine having to continue going into the NICU where your child passed away at day after day to see your other child who was still there.  Even through her loss she found the blessings in her situation.  Her baby girl's water broke at 23 weeks but she was able to stay in the womb for an additional 3 weeks which gave her brother a good chance at life.  You see at 23 weeks all the research says the chances of a baby surviving is slim to none.  She also said that this whole experience has brought her closer to God than ever before.  My heart goes out to her.  Earlier this week the NICU was preparing to get 24-week twins but I learned today that neither of them survived.  These stories bring me back to reality of how blessed our family has been through this.  Thank you for all of the prayers and please keep these two families in your prayers as well.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Jess, thanks for sharing these stories. Those nurses go to work daily, just like eveyone else, not realizing what a blessing they are to those babies and their families. Your strength through this has been unbelievable to me, and you are such an inspiration! I just don't know that I could hold it all together like you have. Your girls are so lucky to have such a wonderful mommy. I hope you have a great Mothers Day! Love, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...those were really touching stories. Thanks for sharing, I will be praying for the other families you have met. The Lord works in mysterious ways, doesn't He? I hope you have a very happy Mother's day. Look at all those precious girls that God has blessed you with! You are a lucky mommy :) We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    what a wonderful post, I know these people have touched your lives forever, and how wonderful they you are acknowledging them. We are keeping you in our prayers, and thoughts on a daily basis, heard you were spending mothers day at Holiday World hope you have a great time with your girls. You are a wonderful mother, all five of your girls are so lucky to have you and Brandon. Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you guys have a great day at holiday world tomorrow! (Bring a sweater, it's been chilly!) Can't wait to see you and meet the babies next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I can speak for everyone who knows you guys when I say that you are an inspiration! Happy Mother's Day Jessica!!!! Continuing to pray for you all and praising God for what He's doing every day!

    ReplyDelete