Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Their First Cinco de Mayo

I got to do a lot of "kangarooing" the past couple of days. I think I actually hold the record for holding time at one setting now with 3 hours for Rebecca yesterday (I know, it's not a contest). There was a lot of sleeping involved in this time by both parties involved. My time in Cincinnati again was cherished and short but was glad to get home to see my other girls for a very short time before bedtime. We have big plans for Mother's Day though!
This trip to Cincinnati I was charged with the task to locate and purchase Jessica a laptop so she could stay connected while there. Most people that know me, know that doesn't mean heading down to Best Buy and picking one up. I have spent several days on Craigslist and found a couple of bargains. One good thing about being there is the larger Craigslist market and also in Louisville which is where I picked up a double travel system (twin car seats and stroller) on the way home tonight. "Finding deals and touching hearts" right Joy? I ended up getting 2 laptops, one in excellent shape and one not so much. Jessica wants to keep the one that doesn't work, so now I have a project. When it's all done I should have a pretty good deal.

I don't know if we've posted their weights lately, but Rebecca is now over 4# and Joanna is flirting with 3#. They are both doing great. For the past several days, Rebecca has been making her nurses earn their pay by the repeated dropping and raising of her O2 levels. They are constantly increasing and decreasing her oxygen to try to keep her within her range of 75%-85%. It's basically impossible to keep her in that range but they all have their ways to keep her close. Some crank her way up as soon as they see her drop a little. This is not the accepted practice and we cringe when this happens. She usually just requires a little help then levels off and returns to normal. Last night the Respiratory Therapist that was there hadn't worked with her before and he was going to 100% oxygen and getting the bag ready to bag her. I had to calmly explain to him that this is just what she does. The nurses that know her just give her little bumps at a time in each direction. The whole oxygen deal is very interesting. Too little oxygen and the brain suffers, too much oxygen and the eyes suffer. There are probably more areas affected on each end of that scale but these are the 2 major ones. Speaking of eyes, Rebecca had hers tested today and she has Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) which is common in most preemies. She has zone 2 stage 1 in one eye and zone 2 stage 2 in the other. Nearly all preemies with this require no treatment and it is self-correcting. A small number require laser treatment with great success. Basically, there is no cause for alarm at this time and she will be checked again in about a week. Joanna is scheduled to have her initial exam on the 10th. Today, they increased Joanna's cannula windowing from 1 hour per day to 2 hours, twice a day. That is if she does ok with it the second time which is going on as I am typing this. I was there when she did her first 2 hour session and she did great. 

I realize that I posted some of the same pictures that Jessica had already posted, but since they are so adorable I just left them. Hopefully, we will soon have some pictures with out anything in their mouths, noses, arms, legs,,,, etc. Then we can actually start to see if they look the same or not. I think not

1 comment: