Thursday, April 22, 2010

News Flash!! - Girls are identical

Well that is the BIG news today.  I few days ago I went to a follow up drs appt and asked what the pathology report was on the placenta, whether there was one or two.  The dr told me that the pathologist report said that there was one placenta and one sac.  Well we all knew the one sac report was not correct so the dr ordered the patholgist to look at the placenta again and give another report.  The nurse called me back this afternoon and told me that because Joanna's sac was so small and it had broke that the pathologist was not able to tell there was two sacs but that there in fact was only ONE placenta.  This means that we had one egg and one sperm combine and then split to make two babies - identical twins!! 

Rebecca had two bagging episodes last night which was better than the night before.  After Rebecca's dr rounds this morning another echo was ordered to see if anything had changed to make her have the breathing issues she was having.  The echo showed no change in the heart so that was good but they still don't know why all of a sudden she is having the low sats.  I was able to kangaroo hold her for about 2 hours and the entire time I was holding her she required no extra oxygen and O2's were in the 90's.  It just goes to show she needs her mommy to comfort her!!  Again the main goal for Rebecca is to get her to grow so they are giving her breastmilk fortified to 28 calories (it is as thick as a milkshake), TPN (additional calories), and Lipids (fat).  They think they have figured out what she needs to grow as she gained 2 oz. overnight.

I didnt get to spend too much time with Joanna today as I was with Rebecca from 9am - 4pm.  The resident called me and told me that Joanna had a good night.  They were taking her off of the TPN and giving her only breastmilk.  She gained about 25 grams overnight and seems to be growing very well.  I had a number of nurses tell me in the last few days that she has really grown.  I was talking to Lindsay (her primary nurse whom Brandon and I really like) and she said that Joanna is at the weight where they will start trying to wean her off of the CPAP and on just a nasal cannula.  They are focusing now on getting her foods increased and then they will most likely focus on this.  I can't wait!!  Once she is off of the CPAP I can begin trying to breastfeed her.   

Brandon comes back up tomorrow - can't wait to see him!  Thanks for the encouraging comments on yesterday's blog.  You have no clue how much better it makes me feel when I read them.  Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Identical twins! That is so cool! It gave me goose-bumps when I read it. Those precious girls do need their mommy....you are doing an amazing job through all of this. May God continue to give you and Brandon strength. I know it must get tough sometimes and you feel like you are alone, but just remember someone somwhere is praying and thinking of you all at that very moment. I think and pray daily...sometimes many times daily :) God is good, and he has a plan for every situation. He is with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed seeing your other two girls today at the zoo with your mother-in-law. They looked like they were having fun. I think they were there for like 4 hours. Katelyn shared her snack with Easton.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool that they are identical twins! You are right Jess, they do need their mommy, and what a wonderful mommy(and daddy)they have. Looking forward to visiting this weekend! Love, Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been a while since I posted anything here...but when I read how much reading everyones comments means to you...I wanted to write you a note of encouragement too. I wanted to remind you just what an inspiration you both have been to Scott and I. Your strength and patience are amazing. Gods gifts of peace and understanding seem shine thru the two of you more with each passing day. I pray He will continue to wrap his arms around you both...showering you the comfort and security only He can give. We sure do miss your presence in small group. There's just an empty feeling since you've been away. We long for the time when you can be with us again. I am looking forward to getting to see you this weekend Jessica. Hopefully some "girl time" will be just what the Dr. ordered. See you soon!

    SARAH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica and Brandon, Just know we are praying for your girls. God has brought them this far he will continue to bless them. I know this continues to be such a emotional rollercoaster for all of you, but try to take care of yourselves, it is very important. Thanks again for keeping the blog updated. I check it everyday.

    ReplyDelete